Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A Meal Fit for a King

This might be a little premature since this project hasn't actually been completed, but I love the emergence of digital libraries. Every library has distinctive special collections, many of which are unique to that particular area of the world. For example, here at the USU library we have the skull of Old Ephriam and one of the nations largest research collections of Jack London material including a complete set of first edition books all of which are inscribed to his wife and include a picture of himself glued inside the cover. Take a look, the letters and pictures are so interesting. With the emergence of digitization we can experience special collections from around the world.

So I eagerly await the digitization of "Forme of Cury" which is held by the Univ. of Manchester. It's a collection of recipes used by the master cooks of King Richard II.
Written in 1390, it's bound to be tough to read (Grandma we might need your translation skills) but it will offer such an interesting glimpse into life in that age.

As a side note, a civil war diary held by the Digital Library of Georgia is also very cool.

2 comments:

Brooke said...

This really is so cool. Thanks for sharing!

Rachel said...

How did I miss this post? How interesting! I've never heard the true story of Old Ephraim before (and the bear cub that died because the kids fed him too much candy? What a strange bit of history.) I wonder if the king's recipes will even translate to modern kitchens - I'm excited to find out.