Tuesday, October 11, 2011

And Cyclocross Begins!

Our first race of the year was at Fort Buenaventura in Ogden.  I'd only ever been there in the snow so I didn't realize what a pretty place it was.  Naomi and I had lots of fun exploring and taking goofy pictures, but I'll just put the cute ones up here. 

Kory raced his single speed.  The course had a bit of everything.  In this section, they had to ride under a bridge over river rock and through a sand pit.  Most people found it faster to just get off their bikes and run.

Gray might look cool and collected here, but he was a bundle of nerves all day.  We got there at about 9:30 in the morning and he didn't race until 3:00.  It was just too much watching and waiting!
Kory looks so expert in the turns!


So much mud!  I think it rained the entire night before and was still sprinkling when we got there.  Here's Kory with some fellow teammates, Robert and John.  The race announcer commented a few times about how cool their arm warmers were.  I have to agree.
Naomi found a great vantage point for watching the race that also doubled as the perfect place for a nap.

 

Finally, time for Gray to race!  This was his first time to race his new bike.  It's bigger than his last one but he handled it like a pro.  The kids have been practicing barriers in the back yard for weeks so it was no surprise that he flew right over these.

Graysen said that his goal was to be the first one to pass the announcers stand (a point about 40 yards after the start line where the course narrows and a racer wants to find themselves at the front of the pack).  The announcers were giving coupons for a local restaurant to the first person past the announcer stand in every race.  That smile says it all, he shot off the start line like a rocket!

2 comments:

Rita said...

What great pictures! and looks like such a nice fall day as well. So you are a Cyclocross Mom rather than a soccer mom. Sounds much more interesting.

Erin Gong said...

Awesome! Looks like Naomi had the most fun. :)